Amanda asked, “How can I wear denim to work and yet look smart?” Good question since denim is such a staple in our wardrobe. We see denim in all sorts of iteration from jumpsuits, dresses to the Canadian tuxedo. From supermodels to celebrities, everyone is wearing double denim. So is denim confined to just the runways and red carpets? Absolutely no! Can we take denim into the boardroom? Absolutely yes!
Here’s how you can create office-appropriate styles with denim:
- Choose denim in a dark wash as it looks more polished and formal than lighter ones. Wear it with a smart blazer and silk blouse for a chic office image.
- Seek out culotte-style trousers or pencil skirts for a tailored appeal. No mom jeans!
- Keep your shoes and accessories simple and structured.
- Wear your denim pieces with quality fabrics e.g. silk, satin, knits or crisp cotton.
- Select denim jacket with white topstitching for a new modern twist.
- Save your embroidered and ruffled denims for Fridays. A light jacket or cardigan smartens up the look instantly.
Denim has dominated the fashion world and our lives for decades and is not going away…ever! It will keep reinventing itself to remain a staple in our wardrobe.
Style by Mel