It’s wedding season and you just received a lot of invites but don’t know what to wear. Fret not! I’m here to help you to be the best dressed guest, potentially:-) Perhaps I should add appropriately dressed for the occasion too. I cringe when I see (and photos of) guests not dressed appropriately for such an important and meaningful event. It’s only respectful to dress well for such a joyous celebration. I’m not suggesting that you go overboard with the budget just for such occasions or outshine the bride. But there are basic dressing ethics to observe when picking an outfit for a wedding.
Some Helpful Tips:
1. Wear colours that are culturally appropriate. For example, the Chinese favour bright colours and abstain from black and white at weddings whereas most Westerners are perfectly fine with wearing black at weddings. If you are unsure, check with a family member or friend or google on this area.
2. Choose non-revealing outfits out of respect. Even if the bride or couple does not mind, their families may frown upon overtly sexy numbers!
3. If there’s a dress code, stick with it.
4. Dress to suit the venue. You obviously will not wear a Hawaiian print or Kaftan to a church wedding!
5. When in doubt, go for a monochrome look. It’s always a safe bet and looks better in photos:-)
Style by Mel